Sunday, October 22, 2006

Shout out

I didn't do anything "interesting," in these past two weeks. I didn't go travel or even leave Concepcion for that matter, and I don't really have any pictures to post. Instead I just went to school and hung out with Chileans. And I must say, these have been the best two weeks of my time here. I think I got to caught up in the travel thing when I first arrived, and because of that, the first month and a half of my stint here was a total whirlwind. So, I decided I would use this post as a shout out to my Chilean friends who have been unbelieveably warm and kind to me my entire time here. I don't think I have met one kid while I have been here that I didn't enjoy my time with. See I am in this program with 50 Americans and all our classes are together, but we have "hermanos." Hermanos are the chilean kids that actually go to the University of Concepcion and that we are paired up with. For example my hermana is Andrea and she is a first year Translation student. All the hermanos are Translation students and each takes three different languages besides spanish. They study two intensely and one not so intensely. The thing is, it could have happened that after the first few weeks we would have stopped hanging out with the hermanos...because now we are acclimated and speak good enough spanish to get around. That is infact not the case at all. We actually hang out with the hermanos all the time. And its great. Anyway. The hermanos are great. And that's all there is to say about that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mhm. Que bueno escuchar que deseas quedarte por un tiempo aca en Chile. Qué bueno escuchar que aprecias a los chilenos que estamos aca aprendiendo tu idioma y un poco más que solo eso.

Qué bueno que has estado bien y que te sientes aclimatado. Qué bueno saber igual que ahora estás un poco mejor de salud...

Me voy a estudiar ahora. Cuídate mucho. Sé feliz, disfruta tu tiempo.

Antes, algo que compartir. Ha sido para nosotros una experiencia muy feliz estar con ustedes también. Pasar un poco de nuestro tiempo hablando y compartiendo con tanto gringo. Y lo bueno es que son abiertos, son personas muy fáciles de llevar. Más que nunca tengo ganas de ir a Estados Unidos. Y por supuesto, sería genial una vez estando allá poder visitar a alguno de ustedes. Porque es verdad, los lazos que se forman aca no son lazos comunes y corrientes. No hablo de grandes lazos de amistades, la barrera del idioma todavía es muy grande para eso, pero con el tiempo todo se puede. Hablo de afectos que no se pueden negar aunque se quiera.

Si alguna vez alguno de ustedes necesitase realmente algo, y yo estoy ahí para ayudar, con gusto lo haría. Si alguna vez estás en apuros, en serio que tienes un hogar donde llegar.

Son tantas cosas las que nos faltan por conocer los unos de los otros, pero mientras más pasa el tiempo más se acortan las distancias. Esa barrera llamada cultura, lenguaje, como quieras llamarla.

En fin, no quiero seguir alargándome porque sé que no es muy fácil seguir claramente el español. Lo que sea...

Bye.

:) Date una vuelta por mi blog, está un poco cambiado ahora. Hay unas cuántas canciones chilenas dignas de ser escuchadas ahí.

Anonymous said...

hola! por que sale mi nombre? jaja xD
digamos que cuando lo lei dije: "que hago ahí"
bueno mmm
no sé que mas agregar
cuidate
nos vemos en la U
kiss

Anonymous said...

Dear Timo,
I was enviously looking for pictures of your family on vacation. I am one of the many lurkers who enjoy your posts. Mas por favor!
I just had to comment on re-reading that the secret of Kunstmann is undoubtedly the "Rheinheitsgebot" (Purity Law). Learn more on the Kunstmann website. This caused me to reminisce of my youthful fun times in Switzerland and Germany thirty years ago. I am so happy for you.
God Bless,
Bob Forester